The New York Society of Play is looking for a new team member for the 2021 Winter and Summer semesters. We are a youth and family gaming and services program whose goal is to entertain and teach social and life skills through games such as Dungeons & Dragons, Minecraft, and LARP.
We are looking for a childcare specialist with a focus on ages 7-13. Staff will be responsible for upholding and exemplifying our program’s social contract, as well as running engaging online and in-person games for children. Staff should be able to operate reliably and independently, serving as a moderator, companion, and role model for children. 2 years of childcare experience is a must.
From January to June, staff will be responsible for running online programming for children via Zoom call. Sessions are 2 hours long. Staff will be expected to have an excellent grasp of subjects such as Dungeons & Dragons, the Pokemon RPG, and Minecraft. Additional duties include planning original, age-appropriate content for children, keeping accurate records of your groups’ progress, and attending bi-weekly staff training. Staff may be asked to work on school and federal holidays for our online camps
From July to September, staff will work as part of our summer camp team, running a campsite of 12 kids alongside 2 other staff. Camp will take place in NYC parks, so any candidate must be located in NYC to be considered for the position. Duties will include learning, mastering, and teaching any games played over the course of the Summer, following camp schedule, maintaining an orderly and clean campsite, and adhering to and exemplifying our social contract. Candidates must be able and willing to work outdoors for 6.5 hours a day, at least 2 hours of which will involve strenuous physical activity. Experience as a head counselor at a day camp or sleepaway camp preferred.
Staff in this position are classified as independent contractors. Pay starts at $16/hr.
- Reliable internet connection and computer required.
- Must be able to work in a fully outdoor environment with at least 2 hours of strenuous physical exercise per day.
- Must be located in NYC and have access to reliable transportation.
- 2 years of child care experience required.
- At least 3 years of experience running Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition as a DM required.
- Summer camp or day camp workplace experience preferred.
- Applicants will be expected to undergo a background check.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time
Pay: From $16.00 per hour
- DnD: 3 years (Required)
- Minecraft: 1 year (Preferred)
- Childcare: 2 years (Required)